China sends 25,633 medics to battle COVID-19 in Hubei

Saturday, 2020-02-15 14:28:59
 Font Size:     |        Print
 

A management personnel checks the production of medicines in a workshop of Youcare Pharmaceutical Group CO., LTD in Beijing, capital of China, Feb. 14, 2020. (Photo: Xinhua)
 Font Size:     |  

A total of 217 medical teams with 25,633 medical workers had been sent to central China's Hubei Province to help combat the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) as of Friday (February 14), a senior official with the National Health Commission said Saturday (February 15).

"The total number of medical workers has far exceeded that for rescue in the 2008 Wenchuan earthquake, and we did it at a much faster speed," Wang Hesheng, deputy head of the commission, said at a video press conference held in Wuhan, capital city of Hubei Province.

Wang, also a member of the standing committee of the Hubei provincial Party committee, noted that the figure excluded medical staff sent by the military.

Three mobile P3 laboratories were also dispatched to the epicenter for epidemic control, Wang said.

Of the medical workers, 20,374 are now working in Wuhan, he added.

Medics in aid made great sacrifices and braved the virus outbreak on the front line, Wang said, expressing respect to the medical workers.

* China reports 2,641 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 143 deaths on Friday from 31 provincial-level regions and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps.

By the end of Friday, a total of 1,523 people had died of the disease and 66,492 confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection had been reported on the Chinese mainland.

* A total of 8,096 patients infected with the novel coronavirus had been discharged from hospital after recovery by the end of Friday. China saw 1,373 people walk out of hospital after recovery on Friday.

* Hubei Province, center of the novel coronavirus outbreak, reported 2,420 new confirmed cases and 139 new deaths on Friday. The figure of new cases included 1,138 clinically diagnosed cases, while the new deaths also included 34 who were clinically diagnosed.

Wuhan, the provincial capital, recorded a total of 37,914 confirmed cases, including 14,953 clinically diagnosed ones. The city reported 1,923 new infections and 107 new deaths on Friday.

* Henan reported two new deaths, and Beijing and Chongqing reported one new death, respectively, on Friday.

* The city of Xiaogan, one of the hardest-hit cities in Hubei, asked all residential communities and areas to start close-off management starting Friday afternoon. All residents will not be allowed to exit and re-enter their communities or residential areas. Daily necessities for residents will be delivered by the community committees, and purchasing services will be provided for urgently-needed goods.

* Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) universities and hospitals across China have sent 2,220 medical workers to Hubei Province to help combat the novel coronavirus outbreak.

* The city of Huanggang, one of the hardest-hit cities in Hubei, is converting a section of a maternal and child care service centre into an emergency hospital. An estimated 400 hospital beds will be put into use by Saturday.

Xinhua