Death toll from multiple blasts in Sri Lanka rises to 138, about 500 injured

Sunday, 2019-04-21 14:45:00
 Font Size:     |        Print
 

The public has been told to excercise caution in the following days. (Photo: Reuters)
 Font Size:     |  

The death toll from the multiple blasts which shook Sri Lanka on Sunday (April 21) has risen to 138, while about 500 people were injured, local media reports quoted hospital sources as saying.

Hospital sources said that nine foreigners were among those killed in the blasts while 13 others have been injured.

In a special statement, the police urged the public to stay indoors and not gather at the explosion sites which had been sealed off.

Television footage showed ambulances rushing the injured to the Colombo National Hospital, the Batticaloa Hospital in the east and the Negombo Hospital on the outskirts of the capital where the explosions took place.

The government said that an urgent security council meeting was underway, with the participation of Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe.

Both President Maithripala Sirisena and Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe have condemned the attacks and appealed for calm.

According to Police, three churches and three hotels have been targeted in the blasts and security has been beefed up across the country.

There has been no claim of responsibility so far for the multiple blasts.

Xinhua