Hanoi FC to play Viettel FC in National Cup final

Thursday, 2020-09-17 11:09:29
 Font Size:     |        Print

Hanoi FC players celebrate a goal during their match with Ho Chi Minh City. (Photo: NDO/Tran Hai)
 Font Size:     |  

NDO – Hanoi FC and Viettel FC, two representatives of the capital city, have qualified for the final decider of the 2020 National Cup following their respective 5-1 and 2-1 semifinal victories over Ho Chi Minh City and Quang Ninh Coal on September 16.

Reigning champions Hanoi FC had a brilliant match against their southern rivals, during which star midfielder Nguyen Quang Hai impressed strongly with one goal and three assists.

From two freekick situations shortly before and after half-time, 23-year-old Quang Hai produced two favourable passes allowing teammates Van Quyet and Thanh Chung to beat HCM City keeper Bui Tien Dung to gift the hosts a 2-0 lead.

(Photo: NDO/Tran Hai)

Only two minutes after conceding the second goal, Chung Hae-seong’s side managed to narrow the gap to 1-2 as Tran Phi Son fed the ball to Van Thuan in the centre of the box for a left-footed shot at the right bottom corner.

However, Hanoi FC only needed another 14 minutes to restore their two-goal advantage, with Quang Hai blasting home a cross from Thanh Chung to add their third goal.

Quang Hai rounded off an exceptional personal display by assisting Van Quyet in making it 4-1 in the 75th minute. Shortly before the final whistle, Van Quyet added a fifth to seal a fabulous 5-1 victory for the champions.

(Photo: NDO/Tran Hai)

Hanoi FC are now only one win away from their second consecutive National Cup trophy. They will need to overcome their city rivals Viettel in the final match on September 20 in order to realise that ambition.

Centre back Bui Tien Dung became the hero of Viettel as he scored a late winner in second-half injury time to lift them through Quang Ninh Coal 2-1, after the two teams held each other 1-1 throughout the 90 minutes of official time. Bruno opened the scoring for Viettel with a 52nd-minute penalty converter, before Hai Long drove a powerful rocket from long range to equalise the score four minutes from stoppage time.