Rural tourism must grow in harmony with community benefits

Thursday, 2018-12-06 17:02:47
 Font Size:     |        Print

Deputy Prime Minister Vuong Dinh Hue visits a booth showcasing agricultural products of Yen Bai province at the event (Photo: VNA)
 Font Size:     |  

NDO – Rural tourism must grow in harmony with the benefits of the local community, while ensuring the preservation of indigenous culture and fostering the building of new rural areas.

Deputy Prime Minister Vuong Dinh Hue made the request at a seminar held by the Central Steering Committee for 2016-2020 National Target Programmes in Lai Chau province on December 6, on rural tourism in partnership with rural development.

Deputy PM Hue, who is Head of the committee, asked ministries, sectors and localities to have full awareness of rural tourism and agri-tourism in order to make suggestions for the policy building related to these fields.

He requested localities to be more active in coordinating with ministries and sectors in order to evaluate their potential and advantages in developing tourism. He also called on intra-regional connectivity to bring into full play the region’s available potentials.

He stressed that the first step to develop rural tourism is to step up agri-tourism, which is operated based on agricultural production space, natural ecology, and cultural identity.

Participants at the seminar agreed that rural tourism in partnership with rural development is a necessary process, which should be duplicated in the implementation of the national target programme on building new rural areas.

It also helps to improve the income and livelihood of residents in rural areas and mountainous regions, while contributing to safeguarding and promoting the cultural heritages of local ethnic communities.

A report presented at the seminar showed that agricultural activities generate only 27% of the total income of people in rural areas, while the remaining 73% comes from non-agricultural activities and services.

Over the past few years, rural tourism and agri-tourism have received proper investment with numerous tours being implemented in many localities across the country, meeting the demand of visitors.

Prominent among the them include tours to Tra Que vegetable growing village in Quang Nam province, trips to the golden terrace fields in Mu Cang Chai district (Yen Bai province), as well as those to Sapa town (Lao Cai province), Pu Luong Natural Reserve (Thanh Hoa province), and Mai Chau district (Hoa Binh province).