No Vietnamese property damage reported at Phnom Penh market fire

Saturday, 2018-03-17 10:51:22
 Font Size:     |        Print
 

The fire was caused by an electrical malfunction on the eastern side of the market.
 Font Size:     |  

NDO – A fire broke out on the night of March 16 at Phnom Penh’s Chbar Ampor market where many Vietnamese people are running their businesses but no damage to their property has been reported.

The Phnom Penh Post cited a local police chief as saying that the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction on the eastern side of the market.

The blaze totally destroyed nearly 600 of the market’s 1,400 stalls and the rest were damaged, the newspaper added.

According to Chau Van Chi, head of the General Association of Vietnamese Cambodians, one third of the market was destroyed but most of the Vietnamese stalls sell groceries in a different corner of the market.

The Vietnamese Embassy in Cambodia has confirmed the information and is following the situation closely in order to support the Vietnamese people if any damage is reported.