Khanh Hoa: Third nCoV patient discharged from hospital in Vietnam

Tuesday, 2020-02-04 15:44:42
 Font Size:     |        Print
 

A hotel receptionist (C) in Khanh Hoa Province who infected with nCoV has become the third nCoV patient to be released from hospital in Vietnam. (Photo: NDO/Phong Nguyen)
 Font Size:     |  

NDO – A female receptionist who was infected with Wuhan coronavirus (nCoV) in the central coastal province of Khanh Hoa was released from hospital on February 4, making her the third successfully treated nCoV case in Vietnam.

>>> Vietnam confirms ninth case of nCoV infection

>>> Eighth nCoV case confirmed in Vietnam returns from China’s Wuhan

Information from the Khanh Hoa Provincial Hospital of Tropical Diseases on Tuesday afternoon showed that the 25-year-old receptionist had her third negative test for the deadly virus which originated in China’s Wuhan City, thus meeting all conditions for discharge after an effective isolated treatment regimen.

The female receptionist had contact with two Chinese nationals (a father and his son), who reported positive for nCoV, when they travelled to Khanh Hoa in mid-January. The Chinese duo – Li Zichao and his father Li Ding – have been receiving isolated treatment at Cho Ray Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City. The son was discharged earlier this morning after showing negative test results for the virus, while his father is recovering well but remains closely monitored at the hospital.

Regarding the Khanh Hoa patient’s situation, she is stable and her health meets the conditions for discharge set by the Ministry of Health (MoH), including showing no sign of fever for at least three days, with normal pulse, blood pressure, breathing and blood tests (negative for nCoV), as well as improved chest X-ray and normal renal function.

Doctor Nguyen Vu Quoc Binh, Deputy Director of Khanh Hoa Provincial Hospital of Tropical Diseases, said that the female patient had three negative tests for nCoV. Her health is now stable after undergoing isolated treatment for clinical symptoms. In addition, her condition has been improved with a nutritious diet and tonic. The patient cooperated well with the hospital staff during treatment, while doctors and nurses at the hospital strictly carried out medical examinations and treatment for her under the MoH’s set regulations, as well as supporting her in her daily activities, as she had been completely isolated from her family members.

Sharing the know-how of nCoV treatment, Binh said that infection cases would recover completely if detected early and provided with timely treatment. If nCoV patients receive treatment too late, they can suffer superinfection, making treatment more difficult. People and tourists showing any symptoms such as fever, cough, shortness of breath and sore throat should immediately go to the nearest medical facility for examination and counselling, he suggested.

Earlier, as the receptionist of a local hotel in Nha Trang City, Khanh Hoa Province, the female patient had contact with Li Ding, 66, and his son Li Zi Chao, 28, when they checked into the hotel on January 16. Two days later, she had a cough and fever. The Chinese father came from Wuhan, the epidemic centre, while his son joined him from Vietnam’s southern province of Long An.

On January 24, after receiving information that the two Chinese nationals had tested positive for the deadly new coronavirus, the receptionist was isolated at Khanh Hoa Provincial Hospital of Tropical Diseases and her blood samples were sent to institutes in Nha Trang and Ho Chi Minh City, which later showed she had been infected with the virus too. Around 30 people who have recently been in contact with the female patient are being closely monitored but none of them are showing symptoms of fever or infection so far.

Thanks to effective treatment, after ten days, the receptionist was released from hospital this afternoon. Earlier today, Li Zichao was also discharged from hospital in Ho Chi Minh City. Li Ding is still undergoing isolated treatment but has been improving greatly.

Yesterday, a 25-year-old female worker in Thanh Hoa Province, who tested positive for nCoV after having travelled to Wuhan during the epidemic, become the third nCoV patient to be released from hospital in Vietnam.

Vietnam’s tenth nCoV infection case had contact with patient returning from Wuhan

Also, on Tuesday afternoon, the MoH confirmed the tenth infection case of nCoV, a local of Vinh Phuc Province who had contact with one of the workers returning from Wuhan that were previously confirmed to have contracted the deadly virus.

PTB, 42, a female worker residing in Son Loi Commune, Binh Xuyen District, Vinh Phuc Province, went to NTD’s home twice on January 22 and January 28. The 23-year-old patient returned from Wuhan on January 17 and was confirmed positive for nCoV on February 3. Previously, three other workers in NTD’s group, who underwent a training course in Wuhan, were also found to be positive for nCoV on January 30.

Immediately after showing signs of suspected nCoV infection on January 31, with a fever, PTB was isolated at the Binh Xuyen district health centre in Vinh Phuc. She is now receiving isolated treatment with stable health.

Thus far, Vinh Phuc Province has recorded five cases of nCoV infections, four of which are workers who returned from Wuhan and the fifth is the patient who had contact with one of those coming from the Chinese city.

This is the second time Vietnam recorded a case of infection being transmitted from a patient to family members. The previous case was Li Ding who had infected his son when he came to Vietnam.

As of 4 pm on Tuesday afternoon, Vietnam has confirmed 10 infection cases, including the Chinese father-son duo (the son was discharged), five workers who returned from Wuhan (one was discharged), the receptionist who had close contact with the two Chinese nationals (the receptionist was also discharged), a US citizen who came to Vietnam after transiting in Wuhan en route, and the latest case who had close contact with a patient that previously tested positive for nCoV.

20,639 people have been infected with nCoV around the world, and the death toll from the epidemic has reached 427, with 425 fatalities in China, one in the Philippines and one in Hong Kong (China) that was announced earlier today.

In the face of nCoV complex situation, Vietnam has strengthened efforts to prevent the deadly virus from spreading into the community. On February 4, the Ministry of Transport decided to stop international trains to China to cope with nCoV. Accordingly, Passenger Train T8701/MR2 from China to Vietnam will be suspended as of 18:05 today, while Train MR1/T8702 from Vietnam to China will be halted as of 21:20 on February 5. The rail services will be resumed after the ministry issues a new notice.

Earlier the same day, the Ministry of Transport sent an urgent notice to the Vietnam Railway Authority, the Vietnam Railways and the Transport Department of the northern border provinces of Lao Cai and Lang Son on the implementation of measures against the epidemic.

Also, on February 4, the Hanoi People's Committee issued an official letter requesting the concerned local authorities to suspend all activities at the local historical-cultural sites and tourist destinations to avoid crowded gatherings, while promptly notifying local people and visitors about the information.

In Lam Dong Province, more than 10,000 face masks have been given free of charge to students and people of ethnic minorities in Lac Duong District to prevent the spread of nCoV.

Free face masks provided to locals in Lac Duong District, Lam Dong Province. (Photo: NDO/Mai Van Bao)

On February 4, the Vietnam Fatherland Front Committee of Ho Chi Minh City coordinated with the local agencies to organise a teleconference discussing implementation plans to prevent and cope with the nCoV epidemic. The delegates pointed out that the most important measure is early detection and isolation, as the risk of transmission is very high. They suggested to follow the Prime Minister’s request on isolating all Vietnamese people that have returned from the epidemic areas as well as international visitors who have come to Vietnam after visiting China within the last 14 days, as it is one of the best ways to help limit the spread of nCoV.

Against the complicated situation of nCoV, the Military Command of Ha Giang Province has cooperated with the Department of Health and the People's Committee of Ha Giang City to set up a field hospital on the Ha Giang Province Military School’s campus.

A field hospital set up in Ha Giang City, Ha Giang Province. (Photo: NDO/Khanh Toan)

The field hospital was allowed to use the existing base of the provincial military school and arranged another 20 canvas houses with a capacity of nearly 600 beds with full equipment and medical staff. Accordingly, Vietnamese people returning from China through Thanh Thuy International Border Gate must carry out isolation procedures and will be arranged to stay at the field hospital for inspection for 14 days.

Thai Nguyen Province has also developed a plan to set up three field hospitals, in Thai Nguyen City, Song Cong Town and Pho Yen Town, with 1,500 beds if needed, in addition to 750 beds in isolated areas with conditions fully prepared by the local hospitals.