World Sports News in Brief

Fernando Hierro named Spain's new national team coach for World Cup

Thursday, 2018-06-14 06:55:47
 Font Size:     |        Print
 

Spain coach Fernando Hierro during the Spain Press Conference in Krasnodar, Russia on June 10, 2018. (Photo: Reuters)
 Font Size:     |  

Sporting Director of Spain's Football Federation (RFEF) Fernando Hierro has been named the national team's new coach for the duration of the World Cup in Russia, the Federation said in a tweet on Wednesday.

Hierro replaced Julen Lopetegui who was sacked earlier on Wednesday after the federation said he failed to tell them he had agreed to join Real Madrid after the tournament. Hierro’s only previous coaching experience came at second division Oviedo, but he believes the players are ready to put the change behind them and focus on winning a second World Cup starting against European champions Portugal in Sochi on Friday.

* Defending champion Gilles Muller fell to a shock 6-3 7-5 defeat by Australian qualifier Matthew Ebden in the Libema Open second round on Wednesday. World number 69 Ebden progressed to his second ATP World Tour quarter-finals and will face Romanian Marius Copil, who secured a 7-5 4-6 6-4 win over Japanese seventh-seed Yuichi Sugita, on Friday.

* French champions Paris St Germain have been cleared of breaking UEFA's break-even rules following last summer's transfer spending spree, European soccer's ruling body said on Wednesday. PSG bought Brazil forward Neymar for 222 million euros, more than double the previous price paid for a player, and later signed Kylian Mbappe on loan from AS Monaco with an option to buy after one season. That deal was reported to be worth 180 million euros.

* FIFA president Gianni Infantino said Wednesday he will bid for a new term as the head of world football's governing body next year. The 48-year-old Swiss-Italian has held the position since 2016 when he took over from Sepp Blatter following a corruption scandal. FIFA elections will take place in Paris in June 2019.

* French Open champion Rafael Nadal has pulled out of next week's Queen's Club grasscourt tournament, the 32-year-old Spaniard said on Wednesday, adding that he needs more time to recover after winning his 11th Roland Garros title. World number one Nadal's decision to withdraw from Queen's means he is likely to arrive at Wimbledon without any competitive matches on grass this year.

Reuters, Xinhua