Activities nationwide to tribute to teachers on Teachers’ Day
Tuesday, 2017-11-21 03:57:21
NDO – Various activities have been held across the nation to pay tribute to teachers and educational staff on the occasion of Vietnamese Teachers’ Day, which falls on November 20.
State President Tran Dai Quang on Monday sent greeting flowers to two veteran teachers, Prof. Vu Khieu and pianist Thai Thi Lien.
Prof. Vu Khieu, who is more than 100 years old, is a well-known scholar specialising in Vietnamese culture. During the anti-French resistant war, he served as director of the Culture Department of Zone 10 in Viet Bac and Tay Bac (northern mountainous region).
After the Hanoi Liberation in 1954, Khieu held many important positions, including Deputy General Secretary of the Vietnam News Agency, the first director of the Vietnam Institute of Sociology, Vice Chairman of the Social Sciences Committee (now the Vietnam Academy of Social Sciences), and taught philosophy and social science theories to the Party’s institutions and universities. He was presented with the Ho Chi Minh Awards in 1996.
Thai Thi Lien, almost 100, is one of the first piano teachers of Vietnam and seven founding teachers of the Vietnam School of Music, which is now the Vietnam Academy of Music (VAM). She worked as head of the Piano Faculty of the academy until 1980.
* On November 20, the Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics hosted a ceremony to mark the 35th anniversary of the Vietnamese Teachers’ Day.
Speaking at the ceremony, Politburo Pham Minh Chinh, who is also Head of the Party Central Committee’s Organisation Commission, warmly praised the efforts and achievements that the academy has achieved in the past years. He emphasised that academics are the main force in studying, communicating and teaching Marxism-Leninism and Ho Chi Minh's Thought, contributing to nurture leaders and managers of the political system.
Chinh urged the Party members, lecturers and students at the academy to concentrate on Party building work, making the academy to take the guiding role and linking the system of political schools for political cadres and lecturers throughout the country.
At the ceremony, officers and lecturers of the academy were honoured with the Independence and Labour Orders, as well as the title of Meritorious Teacher from the Party and State.
Deputy Prime Minister Vuong Dinh Hue visits the traditional space at the Hanoi-Amsterdam High School for the Gifted on November 20. (Credit: VGP)
* The same day, the Hanoi-Amsterdam High School for the Gifted inaugurated its "Hanoi-Amsterdam Traditional Space" in the presence of Politburo member and Deputy Prime Minister Vuong Dinh Hue.
The idea of building the traditional space was initiated in 2015, with the desire to mark the meaningful moments in the history of the Hanoi-based school. The space is a combination of information and materials recreating the formation and development of the Hanoi-Amsterdam High School, playing as a symbol of solidarity and contribution of wisdom, talents and efforts of generations of the school’s teachers and students.
* Also on November 20, the University of Social Sciences and Humanities under the Vietnam National University - Ho Chi Minh City held a ceremony to mark the 60th anniversary of its establishment.
Speaking at the ceremony, Vice State President Dang Thi Ngoc Thinh praised the achievements by teachers and students at the university in affirming its role as a reliable address in training high quality human resources in the fields of social sciences and humanities for the country.
The State official suggested that the school should continue to focus on good teaching - good learning, promoting scientific research and extensive international cooperation, and building and developing the staff in both quantity and quality in order to turn the university into a regional leading institute in the field of social sciences and humanities.
At the ceremony, Vice President Thinh presented to the university a portrait of President Ho Chi Minh which was made from precious stones and VND50 million to the school’s scholarship fund. On this occasion, the university also honoured 60 outstanding former students.
60 alumni of the HCM City University of Social Sciences and Humanities honoured at the ceremony which marked the 60th anniversary of its establishment on November 20. (Credit: sggp.org.vn)
* A ceremony was held yesterday at the Ministry of Education and Training to celebrate the Vietnamese Teachers' Day and present the titles of the People’s Teacher and Meritorious Teacher to cadres at the ministry.
Speaking at the ceremony, Minister of Education and Training Phung Xuan Nha conveyed his best wishes to cadres, civil servants, teachers and educational staffs who have been working at the ministry as well as in the education sector across the country on Vietnamese Teachers’ Day.
The minister suggested that the education sector and its functional units should better the communication work on the history and significance of the day to affirm the position of the teaching profession and also multiply the pride and responsibility of each teacher and education staff.
At the ceremony, on behalf of the State President, Minister Nha handed over the titles of People's Teacher to Deputy Minister of Education and Training Pham Manh Hung and the title of Meritorious Teacher to Deputy Minister of Education and Training Bui Van Ga.
This year, 812 teachers nationwide have been awarded the titles of People's Teacher and Meritorious Teacher.
Deputy Ministers of Education and Training Pham Manh Hung (second from left) and Bui Van Ga (far right) honoured with the titles of People's Teacher and Meritorious Teacher, respectively. (Credit: moet.gov.vn)
* The Ministry of Public Security yesterday also celebrated the 35th anniversary of Vietnamese Teachers' Day to honour teachers in the People's Police Force and awarded the noble titles of People's Teacher and Meritorious Teacher to educational staff under the ministry in 2017.
Speaking at the ceremony, Public Security Minister To Lam asked academics and schools under the Police Force to continue to thoroughly grasp and resolutely implement solutions to achieve the goals and requirements of fundamental and comprehensive renewal of education and training in the Police Force, while strongly innovating teaching and learning methods as well as educational management in the direction of modernisation.
They were also urged to be the exemplary in research and application of science and technology in the context of rapidly evolving of the fourth Industrial Revolution.
* The same ceremonies were also held by the Ministries of Defence and Industry and Trade, as well as the People’s Committees of Hanoi and Nghe An province to honour their teaching and educational staff with the State noble titles of People's Teacher and Meritorious Teacher on Monday.
* On November 20, leaders of Thanh Hoa province visited and congratulated teachers and officials at the Thanh Hoa Department of Education and Training and several local schools on the occasion of Vietnamese Teachers’ Day.
* Ngo Quyen Primary School in Ninh Kieu district, Can Tho city celebrated the 35th anniversary of Vietnamese Teachers' Day and received the excellent emulation flag from the Government. It is the first national standard school of Can Tho and is also one of the leading primary schools in the city’s education sector for many years.
Leaders of Thanh Hoa province congratulate teachers and officials at the Thanh Hoa Department of Education and Training on the occasion of Vietnamese Teachers’ Day. (Credit: baothanhhoa.vn)