Vietnam, Cambodia issue joint statement
Wednesday, 2017-04-26 03:02:46
NDO - Vietnam and Cambodia issued a Joint Statement on the occasion of Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc’s official visit to the Kingdom of Cambodia from April 24-25 at the invitation of Cambodian PM Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo Hun Sen.
Following is the full text of the joint statement.
1. At the invitation of Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo Hun Sen, Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Cambodia, H.E. Mr. Nguyen Xuan Phuc, Prime Minister of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam and Madame led a high-level Vietnamese delegation to pay an official visit to the Kingdom of Cambodia from 24 to 26 April 2017.
During the visit, Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc had the Royal audience with His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath Norodom Sihamoni, King of Cambodia, held talks with Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo Hun Sen and met with President of the Cambodian Senate Samdech Vibol Sena Pheakdey Say Chhum and President of the Cambodian National Assembly Samdech Akka Moha Ponhea Chakrei Heng Samrin. Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc also paid a courtersy call on His Holiness Samdech Preah Akka Mahasangharajahdhipati Tep Vong, Great Supreme Patriarch of Mahanikaya.
During the visit, Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc laid wreaths at the Independence Monument, the Monument of His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah NORODOM SIHANOUK, King-Father of Cambodia “PREAH BOROM RATANAK KAUDH” and the Cambodia – Viet Nam Friendship Monument. Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc also visited the Vietnamese Embassy in Phnom Penh.
On this occasion, the two prime ministers presided over the inaugural ceremony of the bridge connecting Chrey Thom (Kandal province, Cambodia) and Long Binh (An Giang province, Viet Nam) and witnessed the signing of the 4 memorandums of understanding, namely Memorandum of Understanding between the Ministry of Transport of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam and the Ministry of Public Works and Transport of the Kingdom of Cambodia on promoting the Study and Construction of Ho Chi Minh City - Moc Bai and Phnom Penh - Bavet Expressway Projects, Memorandum of Understanding between the Ministry of Labour-Invalids and Social Affairs of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam and the Ministry of Social Affairs, Veterans and Youth Rehabilitation of the Kingdom of Cambodia on Project on Building a Voluntary and Community-Based Treatment Service Centre for Drug Addicts in Preah Sihanouk Province, Extension of Memorandum of Understanding on Bilateral Cooperation in the Fisheries Sector between Fisheries Administration, the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries of the Kingdom of Cambodia and Directorate of Fisheries, the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam and Memorandum of Understanding between the Capital of Hanoi of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam and the Capital of Phnom Penh of the Kingdom of Cambodia on Supporting the Construction of Phnom Penh-Hanoi Friendship Boulevard.
2. In an atmosphere of solidarity, friendship, mutual understanding and trust, the leaders of the two countries had in-depth exchange of views on the further promotion of friendly relations and comprehensive cooperation between the Kingdom of Cambodia and the Socialist Republic of Vietnam as well as on regional and international issues of mutual interest.
Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc applauded the significant achievements that the people of Cambodia had attained under the benevolent reign of His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath Norodom Sihamoni and under the leadership of the Senate, National Assembly, and the Royal Government led by Samdech Techo Prime Minister Hun Sen in the cause of national building and development, which incessantly advanced the role and posture of Cambodia in the region and the world. On this occasion, Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc extended his sincere wish for the successful organisation of the 4th Mandate of Commune/Sangkat Council Election in June 2017 and the 6th National Legislative Election in 2018.
Samdech Techo Prime Minister Hun Sen and Cambodian leaders praised the great achievements that the Vietnamese people had made in national reform, construction and development, and wished the Vietnamese people, under the leadership of the Communist Party and State of Vietnam, success in the cause of national industrialisation and modernisation.
3. The two sides rejoiced at the excellent growth of the friendship and comprehensive cooperation between Cambodia and Vietnam over the past, which had brought about practical benefits to both peoples.
The Vietnamese side emphasized that Vietnam held in great esteem the strong affection and valuable support and assistance that His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah NORODOM SIHANOUK, King-Father of Cambodia “PREAH BOROM RATANAK KAUDH”, His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath Norodom Sihamoni, Samdech Techo Prime Minister Hun Sen, Cambodian leaders and people extended to the people of Viet Nam throughout the struggle for national independence in the past as well as the current national construction and development.
The Cambodian side expressed deep gratitude for the strong support and assistance given to Cambodia by Vietnamese leaders and people in the past and at present and reaffirmed that the Cambodian people would always remember the assistance of Vietnamese voluntary soldiers in cooperation with Cambodian people to liberate Cambodia from Khmer Rouge genocidal regime in 1979.
4. Both sides agreed that strengthening and developing the friendship and cooperation between Cambodia and Vietnam were of crucial importance to both countries. Both sides remained committed to the continual strengthening and fostering of bilateral relations according to the motto of “good neighbourliness, traditional friendship, comprehensive cooperation, long-lasting stability’’, to the full observance of the principles stated in the Cambodia – Vietnam Joint Statements of 1999, 2005, 2009, 2011, 2014, June 2016 and December 2016, respecting each other’s independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity, non-interference in each other’s internal affairs, not allowing any hostile force to use the territory of one country to menace the national security of the other, and settling emerging issues between the two countries by peaceful means.
5. The two sides agreed to increase high-level meetings and contacts as well as exchange of delegations at all levels and encourage people-to-people contacts, especially between provinces in border areas. They also agreed to work closely to effectively implement agreements and treaties between the two countries and governments. These include the Agreed Minutes of the 15th Meeting of the Cambodia – Vietnam Joint Commission on Economic, Cultural, Scientific and Technological Cooperation, and the Joint Communiqué and the Joint Report of the 9th Conference on Cooperation and Development between Cambodia – Vietnam Border Provinces held in Phnom Penh from 13th to 15th of March 2017.
6. Both sides agreed that activities celebrating the Vietnam - Cambodia Friendship Year of 2017 on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between the two countries (June 24th 1967 – June 24th 2017) were of profound significance in deepening the understanding of the two peoples, especially the young generations, of the longstanding traditional friendship and solidarity between the two peoples and thus stressing their responsibility to nurture and foster this relationship.
7. Both sides agreed to continue fostering cooperation in different areas, especially those in which each country has advantages, such as education and training, border trade, tourism, telecommunication, aviation, banking, oil and gas, rubber, agriculture and electric power, ect, trying their best to reach the set goal of bilateral trade volume of US$5 billion in the years to come. In this connection, the two sides committed to promote their business and investment in each other’s markets while ensuring their legitimate rights and interests.
8. Both sides agreed to strengthen coordination in preventing cross-border smuggling and trade fraud, including the production and trafficking of fake and low-quality goods and to finalise procedures to build a model border market in Da commune, Memot district, Tbaung Khmum province, Cambodia.
9. The two sides reaffirmed their respect for and full implementation of border delimitation treaties and relevant border agreements concluded by the two States. They highly appreciated the efforts of the Joint Commission on Demarcation and Abornment for Land Boundary (JBC) for having accomplished approximately 84% of the land Border demarcation and maker planting workload over the past time on the basis of the border delimitation treaties between the two countries.
Building on these achievements, the two sides expressed the determination to complete the planting of border sub-pillars and supplementary makers within 2017 as well as finalise and approve relevant demarcation and marker planting dossiers in accordance with the JBC’s regulations with a vision to sign a legal document to acknowledge the accomplishment of the above-mentioned 84% of the total demarcation workload as well as to find a definitive solution acceptable to both sides to the remaining border segments in order to complete land border demarcation and marker planting process as soon as possible. The two sides agreed to strengthen their coordination in border management in accordance with existing legal framework with a view to building a borderline of peace, stability, friendship, cooperation and sustainable development.
10. The two sides pledged to continue to create favourable conditions for expats of one country to live, in the other’s territory in accordance with each country’s law. In the spirit of friendly neighbourliness, the Vietnamese side hopes that the Cambodian side would continue to take appropriate measures to ensure the legitimate rights of Vietnamese residents, equally treated as other foreign residents living in Cambodia in conformity with Cambodian laws and regulations, thus contributing to the consolidation and reinforcement of the traditional friendship between the two peoples.
11. The two sides applauded their fine cooperation in multilateral forums in the past, especially the mutual support for each other’s candidacy for important bodies in international organisations. Given the growing complexities in the regional and global context, the two sides agreed to increase coordination, information sharing and mutual support in multilateral forums.
The two sides agreed to continue working closely within ASEAN frameworks in the common efforts to build a rule-base, people-oriented, people-centred ASEAN Community, being in the centre of all regional process.
On this occasion, Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc extended his sincere wish for the great success of the upcoming World Economic Forum on ASEAN hosted by Cambodia from 10 to 12 May 2017.
12. The two sides stressed the importance of maintaining peace, stability and security in the South China Sea, settling disputes by peaceful means, exercising self-restraint and refraining from the threat or use of force in accordance with universally recognised principles of international law, including the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS). The two sides are committed to work closely within ASEAN-China framework for the full and effective implementation of the Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea (DOC) and early conclusion of the Code of Conduct in the South China Sea (COC), including the completion of the framework of the COC by mid-2017.
13. The two sides pledged to work closely with each other and other member states within the framework of the Mekong River Commission and other Mekong cooperation mechanisms in order to ensure sustainable use and management and conservation of the water and related resources in the Mekong River Basin in consistence with international law and practices as well as harmonise the interests of riparian countries with the goal of sustainable development in the region.
14. The two sides highly valued the positive and significant outcomes of the official visit to Cambodia by Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc, considering it as an important historic event, actively contributing to the advancement of the solidarity, traditional friendship, comprehensive cooperation between Cambodia and Vietnam as well as for the sake of peace, stability, cooperation and development in the region and the world.
15. Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc expressed his sincere thanks for the warm welcome and gracious hospitality that the leaders and people of Cambodia extended to the high-level delegation of Vietnamese government during the entire visit.
16. H.E. Mr Nguyen Xuan Phuc, Prime Minister of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam kindly invited Samdech Techo Prime Minister Hun Sen and other leaders of the Kingdom of Cambodia to visit Vietnam on the occasion of the 2017 Cambodia – Vietnam Friendship Year. Samdech Techo Prime Minister Hun Sen and other Cambodian leaders gratefully accepted the invitation.